An odd feeling this Thanksgiving
Happy Thanksgiving everyone from over here in the UK!
I can’t help but feel that this year there is an odd feeling surrounding Thanksgiving with a lot of people struggling to find something to give thanks for. It’s been one hell of a year, that’s for sure. I’m thankful for the following:
- My British husband who is taking me away somewhere (exotic??) for a birthday weekend
- My daughter for always telling me exactly what’s on her mind – no sugar coating, only deadpan truths
- My youngest for making me smile, always cheering me up, telling me I’m too ‘American’ (which, secretly I love) and for being adorable 24/7
- For my coffee maker which never fails to give me strong, hot coffee every single morning
- For my firstborn who is about to embark on the next stage of his adolescent life bringing him even closer to adult life (so scary it hurts). He is an incredibly bright, caring, considerate young man and I give thanks for him and all of my children every day and especially today
- For my family Stateside. Miss you all every day and wish you all a very Happy Thanksgiving, you lucky things! It’s hard being so far away from each other on days like this. Thank you for all your support from afar!
And to all those who are celebrating, or not celebrating, Thanksgiving abroad, hope you get the chance to mark the day somehow!
Meghan Peterson Fenn is the author of Bringing Up Brits, co-author of Inspiring Global Entrepreneurs, co-founder and Director of Design and Web at Shake It Up Creative. And, she is an award winning expat blogger and mother of three.