The Best European Cities to Visit with Kids
Visiting Europe is a never-ending journey. There are many things to see, to taste, to learn, to experience. So, for your trip to the continent with your kids, wouldn’t it be much more convenient to usher everyone around by driving? Luxury car hire companies in Europe like PrimeRent for example provide the perfect vehicles to suit every family’s needs. No more chasing public transport schedules. Just drive and visit one European country to the next.
1. London – With all the castles and parks that abound everywhere, kids will be overwhelmed to visit London. The place found in many childhood bedtime stories, London is full of many and varied attractions, museums, parks and festivals which will keep the whole family entertained. Aside from the usual sights such as the London Eye, Buckingham Palace, Big Ben and Tower Bridge, you can take your kids to see the Peter Pan Statue in Kensington Gardens, the Science Museum, the Horniman Museum, the London Zoo, the London Dungeon, Mudlarks at Museum of London Docklands, and the many gardens and parks.
2. Paris – What kid hasn’t heard of the Eiffel Tower or the Notre Dame Cathedral? You can bring them to the top of the Eiffel Tower to peer down at the city. A visit to the Louvre to ponder at Mona Lisa’s smile and the “Outsize” thematic tour will keep them excited. They will be awed at the latest rotating toy exhibit in the Musée des Arts Décoratifs where they can see over 400 vintage Star Wars toys, costumes and video games. Treat them to a ride on the Place de la Concorde Ferris Wheel, to sail mini boats in the Tuileries Garden or to a boat ride down the Seine. Of course, there is Disneyland as well!
3. Rome – While older kids will surely be thrilled to visit the many historical sights and museums, Rome is kid-friendly as well. Visit the Roman Forum and the Colosseum where they can imagine gladiator fights. After which, you can take your kids to Gladiator School! This 2-hour class will demonstrate and inform about gladiator gear and equipment. Then, gladiator-fighting training follows in one-on-one battles using foam swords. Take them to visit the Vatican and the Sistine Chapel to witness one of the greatest works of art. Have a picnic in the many parks such as in the Villa Borghese Gardens which also houses a zoo. They can bike around, enjoy bumper cars, pony rides and row a boat in the pond. A visit to Castel Sant’Angelo will bring you up to the ramparts where your kids will love looking down at the panorama. Then, stroll by the Tiber River or take a boat ride. On a summer day, don’t forget to cool down with the many flavours of gelato!
4. Munich – While beer drinking is perhaps the top attractions for adults in this beautiful city, kids will revel in handcrafted toys. Visit the Toy Museum and one of the oldest and largest science museums in the world, the Deutches Museum. Of course, you can’t miss a visit to the beautiful Neuschwanstein Castle to see the inspiration for Sleeping Beauty’s castle.
5. Copenhagen – Spectacular castles mere minutes away from the city will definitely be worth visiting especially with kids. Other than that, kids will love to see the place where Hans Christian Andersen came from. As such, a visit to the sad mermaid in the harbor will evoke many questions. Usher your kids to the magical Round Tower to see the equestrian staircase. The Tivoli, an amusement park, will keep your kids excited and active with the handful of adrenaline rides, funfair booths and gardens.
Photos by Bringing Up Brits and StockFree images.
Meghan Peterson Fenn is the author of Bringing Up Brits, co-author of Inspiring Global Entrepreneurs, co-founder and Director of Design and Web at Shake It Up Creative. And, she is an award winning expat blogger and mother of three.